Saturday, August 4, 2012

Barrier Reef Pools - Florence, South Carolina

This summer Tim and I decided we were in the market for a pool.  We did some looking around last summer, but didn't make our final decision until early this year.  We decided on Barrier Reef Pools in Florence, SC.  There are two aspects of this review - the quality of the pool, and the service from the store.   Let me start with the quality of the service.

Randy Weatherford is the manager of the store in Florence and he is who we dealt with in terms of purchasing the pool.  

In an interview published with SCNOW.com regarding the opening of the Barrier Reef store in Florence, the following was quoted (published July 22, 2011) 

“We look forward to helping the pool owners of Florence create many great family memories in their pools and backyards," says Randy Weatherfordstore manager.  "We want our customers to depend on us for our superior service and technical know-how.”

I'm far from pleased with the service we have received with regard to the pool.  I do have to admit, there are some good things... the store location is close to our home and we get free pool supplies for this season with the installation of the pool.... that's pretty much where the good service ends though (and I'm sure we've paid for the "free" pool supplies in the cost of the pool).

I won't even go into the issues we had with the installation (that was at least six weeks if not more delayed for completion), I'll just talk about the service after the sale... after the final large check was written.  We have had to call the store on many occasions - multiple times, to get things taken care of.  For instance - our therapeutic jet inserts were not put in when the pool was installed.. took forever to get those in, and it was a simple job.  We had remote control lighting that we paid for with the purchase of the pool - well, they installed the wrong lighting with the pool and it also took multiple calls and a lengthy wait to get the appropriate lighting installed.  

Right now, we are dealing with deck jets.  We have three deck jets installed on the pool decking.  When you turn them on, they shoot water out, like a fountain into the pool.  The kids love them.  Well, they are SUPPOSED to shoot water out into the pool... ours don't work right, so we can't turn them on.. unless of course we just want to water down the concrete.  Over the past three weeks, I have personally called and left messages three times, and Tim has as well.  We have not even gotten a return phone call.  Tim went into the store and talked to Randy about it personally - still no one has come out to take care of fixing the deck jets.  If it is not taken care of in short order, my next stop will be the better business bureau, or small claims court if necessary.  I hate to talk about court, but if you have no other recourse, sometimes you just have to go that route.  For service, I would give them a D- on a A-F scale!

As for the pool itself...... LOVE it!!!!  We picked a fiberglass pool - which is the only kind that Barrier Reef sells.  We were looking at all of our options - fiberglass vs. liner and found the fiberglass to be a better option for our family.  We were not concerned with the depth - the pool we chose is 15 feet wide, 40 feet long, and approximately 9 feet deep.  It's too shallow for a diving board, but I didn't want one anyway.  I loved the sculptured look of the fiberglass pool.  It is also a salt water poor - which I LOVE.  If you have never felt the water in a salt water pool, you don't know what you're missing.  It's "soft".  That's really the only way I know how to describe it.  It almost makes your skin feel conditioned when you have been in it.  And it's not salty like the ocean - you don't get out of the water feeling "sticky" like you do at the ocean.  The water has salt content similar to saline... for that matter, it's very easy on your eyes as well... nothing like the chlorine pools we had when I was growing up.  All around, I couldn't be more thrilled with this pool.  I told Tim, besides investing in the kids' future, there is really no better investment that we have made!

Where once there was only a yard, now there are hours of family fun!



It can get REALLY hot in SC and this summer has been a scorcher - but with the pool, we have been able to be outside and enjoy the sunshine.  At night, we light around the fence with tiki torches and turn on the pool lights and it is absolutely beautiful and relaxing!


I guess for the pool itself, I would give it an A-..... there are always things that can be improved.  The only complaint I really have is with regard to the salt system / pump - it's kinda loud.  I guess you get used to the sound of it after awhile, but it is loud.  In terms of beauty, quality, easy care and just plain fun... this is definitely a great pool!

Sadly, if we had to do it over again, we would not choose Barrier Reef - as much as I love the pool, I would  have to find a different pool company and I couldn't in good faith recommend them to someone without a warning regarding the service.  It's not just poor, it's bad.  Which is ironic after the quote from the article when the store was opening.  If they improved their service and response to customers, they could actually have a good business going on there....

Charity
aka - "Quality Mom"


25 comments:

  1. I too bought a pool from them back in October and I have very displeased with the service .My pool too was delayed several weeks because they did not show up when they told me they were going to and now the brick pavers that they put down are coming up we have taken pictures and called them they were never installed right and they are sinking into the ground.The pool is fine but to get them to come and do anything is a pain in the butt.Hoping they will straighten out my problem soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We started June 3, 2014. Its now August 13. They do what they want,when they want. New management by butt. My husband is finishing ours. Please go to another company. I wish someone would have told us that. BIG LIARS!!!!!

      Delete
    2. Ok now its October 1st. Someone from barrier reef was suppose to show up at our home yesterday. Like always a know show. So done with you Will (the fabulous new manager).

      Delete
  2. I am thinking about getting a pool and want to thank you for this valuable information. It has really been helpful! I will definitely cross Barrier Reef off my list!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I WILL BE CROSSING THEM OFF MY LIST ALSO...THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME...I MAY CONSIDER A POOL PURCHASE ON A GREAT DISCOUNT, BUT NO INSTALLATION BY THEM...HAVE A SON-IN-LAW THAT KNOWS HOW TOO...LIKE THE QUALITY AND THICKNESS OF THE FIBERGLASS...

      Delete
  3. My friends last night my son birthday I share with you some interesting . When placing the tile on the pool, some adhesive might bleed through the front joint. Use your finger to wipe it even with the tile surface. If any adhesive gets smeared onto the surface of the tile, immediately use a paper towel and solvent to wipe it off. Before applying the last 8 feet of tile, start at the skimmer; use a sheet of tile to measure back to the last sheet of tile already on the pool. If the tile does not fit perfectly, you can compress the grouts joint on the remaining 8 feet of tile to make it fit perfectly. This eliminates the need for a cut tile when you reach the skimmer.
    Pool Builder

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too had trouble with salesman in Florence. Very rude. Acted Like I was bothering him - How dare I disturb him attitude. Handed me some procedures with a rude HERE YOU CAN LOOK AT THESE freaking attitude and walked away from me. I was gonna get one, and my sister and uncle said if mine worked out OK they would buy one also from this store. I told them if his attitude was any indication of quality of service not to get one. SO WE ALL WENT TO CAROLINA POOLS. Very satisfied!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have been looking to putting a pool in and was going to visit this store, after reading this we will cross them off of our list. what a horrible shsme since those pools are made righg here in thx Pee Dee!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good move I had problems with the service on the pool my lights went out after 8 months use finally after numerous calls replaced in Aug 2014 lights were out since Sept 2013 also had problems with pavers had to get them to come three times to get those fixed don't follow up after sale.

      Delete
  6. We will be putting in a pool before Winter and we are so glad to have read this!!!

    We will gladly take our business elsewhere. Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experiences. I hope you are able to get your needed repairs from Barrier Reef.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This Dealer is no longer at his store. The new dealer is very professional and courteous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is a new dealer at this store now.Very professional, knowledgeable and personable. I spoke with him recently. I could tell he has customer satisfaction as his # 1 priority.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice try there, new manager. The new one is worse than the last. Less friendly and less knowledgeable. Listen to the others and take your business elsewhere.

      Delete
    2. Not any better. This guy does nothing he says he WILL. Please go elsewhere.

      Delete
  9. There is absolutely know difference now with the new dealer. 2013 or 2014 it doesn't matter. Please, if you are looking to install a pool go somewhere else. We made a huge mistake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is having to correct all the mistakes and messes Randy made but it takes this guy a long time and numerous calls to get something done best thing go somewhere else.

      Delete
  10. I would stay away dishonest company try someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your pool looks great! It’s just a bit disappointing that they failed to deliver on their promise of quality customer service. That kind of service can be damaging to the reputation of the business, even if its products are actually of excellent quality. If you promise to provide customer satisfaction, you must deliver on your word. Anyway, are there any updates on the jet deck?

    Stella Hammond @ Palm City Pools

    ReplyDelete
  12. My name is Bryson Preston and I am the General Manager of Barrier Reef Pools & Spas in Florence. I have read the comments on this blog and frankly, I am embarrassed. These comments don't embrace our Corporate values or our mission statement.

    We take pride in providing excellent customer service. We have obviously let many of our potential and current customers down in Florence and the surrounding area. I am truly sorry for the "lack" of customer service you experienced from our Florence location.

    There has been another change in Managers in Florence. Our goal is to provide excellent customer service and I will not be satisfied until this is accomplished.

    We want to earn your trust and your business. If we fall short in any area and this includes customer service, please call me at 843-399-4314. I will return all calls!

    As many of the comments stated on this blog, Barrier Reef has a superior pool shell and we believe our product is superior. We are a local company, our pool shells are manufactured just up the road from Florence in a town called Timmonsville.

    Again, I am sorry for the poor or "lack" of customer you received in the past. This has been address and corrected. I have included my contact number. Please give Barrier Reef & Pools the opportunity to earn your trust and experience the new attitude in Florence, SC.

    Thank you,

    Bryson Preston, 843-399-4314

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish we had seen these comments before trusting this company. Still in the process in installation. Lots of issues. Today is Sunday May 3. We will see what happens tomorrow. We might be calling you Mr. Preston. We're 62 and retired. This was our dream. We hope it still can come true.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Interesting blog and very outstanding information about the fiberglass i really love it.
    Fiberglass Pools and Spas

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry to hear about the problems experianced. There are two major considerations in getting a fiberglass or other pool in place. First and what a lot of people can get right is the choice of the pool manufacturer and size/shape that suits. There are of course differences in quality/construction and cost of a fiberglass pool 'shell'. I'm convinced that Barrier Reef 'shells' are among the top 3 'shell' manufacturers in USA.

    What happens next is the actual installation and finishing off of the pool and equipment by the landscaping contractor or the local dealer for pool shell manufacturer. This is where things can go very wrong and the source of most problems. You have to investigate and acquire knowledge about pumps/filters/heaters/lighting and other extra features as quality and pricing is all over the place. Installation makes a mess of any yard and most 'dealers' subcontract out parts of installation process (trucking/concrete and sometimes dig itself) so what sub they use makes a difference.

    I'm contracting out my own installation and my is it a lot of work just sorting out what we want and then just as hard getting the quotes for dig, concrete and decking. If the 'dealer' gets all of this done without you experiancing some hassles he/she is a gem beyond price because it's far from easy and worth the extra money you'd save from trying to do it yourself. More time spend settling on dealer/installer (yes that's not easy) is worth every minute.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Interesting blog all information are very important for me about the pool cages and i really need it thank you.
    pool cages

    ReplyDelete
  17. Folks, I've been in the pool business for 25 years, Gunite and Fiberglass and everything here is no different than anywhere else. Yes, there are a few things here that could be easily rectified, like the angle and pressure of deck jets, noisy pumps and the like. Not calling back on a complaint is, however, a fatal mistake that should not happen!
    I can safely say, Barrier Reef Pools are well made, don't blame them.
    A Dealer is not the Manufacturer, there are great Dealers and then there are guys like Randy. To Randy's defense, there is always a story within a story, always!
    However, a well built pool is not always the norm, some are better than others, BR Pools are well built. Don't listen to anyone who says, "Install it yourself." NEVER, NEVER, NEVER!! Would you drill your teeth or is a great Dentist worth his weight in Gold?
    I am confident your pool issues will be rectified, be more patient than normal, meet with the Dealer and give him several chances to fix it. Legal pressure only makes Lawyers rich and you'll never get it repaired. Try calling BR directly and ask for Tony.
    Hope this helps!!
    JP

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am having a pool installed this very moment. Its one of the smaller pools. I have a 1/2 lot acre lot, most of which is situated behind the house where the pool is located. For some reason, they have dug up and covered my entire backyard. I have no grass in my backyard, which is shocking because the pool is only 23' x 11'. Barrier Reef does not plant sod, so I will be responsible for replacing all of the centipede grass. Also, they cracked my drive way in two places that I can see so far. One was done because they backed a dump truck on to my driveway to haul away the heavy dirt they dug up. It rained for two days, so the dirt was mud. The other place where the driveway is cracked is not quite as bad. I'm not sure if that is also from the dump truck or from them driving the backhoe and bobcat all over it. I haven't been able to inspect the entire driveway because there is dirt still on about 1/3 of my driveway. I just hope they repair the cracks. Replacing the sod is already going to cost more than I anticipated and was an unnecessary expense.

    ReplyDelete